MIAE 2017-2018 Graduate Seminar 1
Time & Location
About The Event
"On the Structured Convection" By Prof. J.M. Floryan
Term “Structured Convection” refers to natural convection driven by patterns of heating. This convection is different from the classical Rayleigh-Bénard convection as it occurs regardless of the heating intensity as well as regardless of the position of the heating sources. Fluid movement is driven by density gradients but prediction of the system response is complicated due to spatial parametric resonance effects. A review of the recent results will be presented, primarily from the point of view of drag reduction associated with such convection. The relevant information can be found in the references given below.
1. “Convective Heat Transfer in Non-Uniformly Heated Corrugated Slots” by A. Abtahi and J. M. Floryan. To appear in Phys. Fluids.
2. “Natural Convection and Thermal Drift”, A. Abtahi & J. M. Floryan, J. Fluid Mech. Vol.826, 2017, pp. 553-582
3. "Natural Convection under Sub-Critical Conditions in the Presence of Heating Non-Uniformities” M. Z. Hossain & J. M. Floryan, Int. J. Heat and Mass Transfer, v.114, 8-19, 2017.
4. “Natural Convection in Corrugated Slots” A. Abtahi & J. M. Floryan, J. Fluid Mech., v. 815, 2017, 537-569.
5. “Drag Reduction in a Thermally Modulated Channel” M.Z. Hossain & J.M. Floryan, J. Fluid Mech., v. 791, 2016, 122-153.
6. “Natural Convection in a Horizontal Fluid Layer Periodically Heated from Above and Below” M. Z. Hossain & J.M. Floryan, Phys. Rev. E 92, 023015, 2015.
7. "Mixed Convection in a Periodically Heated Channel" M.Z. Hossain & J.M. Floryan, J. Fluid Mech., v. 768, 2015, 51-90.
8. “Drag Reduction in Heated Channels” Daniel Floryan & J.M. Floryan, J. Fluid Mech., v. 765, 2015, 353-395.
9. “Natural Convection in a Fluid Layer Periodically Heated from Above” M.Z. Hossain & J.M. Floryan, Physical Review E 90, 023015, 2014.
10. "Instabilities of Natural Convection in a Periodically Heated Layer" M. Z. Hossain & J. M. Floryan, J. Fluid Mech., 2013, v. 733, 33-67.
11. "Drag Reduction due to Spatial Thermal Modulations" M.Z. Hossain, D. Floryan & J.M. Floryan, J. Fluid Mech., 2012, v. 713, 398-419.